Welcome to The LUMEN Laser Center!
The LUMEN Laser Center provides expert medical evaluation and innovative laser techniques to treat veins and improve skin appearance without surgery. These innovative laser technologies have helped thousands of people eliminate their varicose veins quickly, painlessly and effectively with zero recovery time. LUMEN Laser Center is the premier and first center of its kind on the Main Line, providing unmatched facilities and expertise in improving vascular health and overall skin appearance.
This laser procedure for larger varicose veins is coverable by most insurance companies, and we are participating with the following companies:
• Aetna HMO/PPO/POS
• Personal Choice
• Independence Blue Cross / BCBS
• United Healthcare
• Health Systems International
• Bravo Health
If your insurance company is not listed, please call us, as we have experience in working with many companies. We can work with your company on an out-of-network basis as well.
Andrew Kwak, MD
Andrew Kwak (kwäk), MD, is the Director of the LUMEN Laser Center. A leading graduate of both Episcopal Academy and Duke University, and a native Philadelphian for more than 30 years, Dr. Kwak received his medical training at Thomas Jefferson University and the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Kwak is Board Certified and is a nationally recognized physician and lecturer and part of a new field of medicine specializing in minimally invasive surgical techniques. These less traumatic techniques utilize laser and ultrasound energy to enhance the function and appearance of both the skin and vascular system. With a special interest in novel medical laser applications,
Dr. Kwak has performed thousands of procedures at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and was a faculty member of Penn’s School of Medicine and member of the Penn Center for Human Appearance. Dr. Kwak is a member of The American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery and The American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery and is a leader in the treatment of vein problems, having established and directed Penn’s first laser vein treatment program. He is a frequent invited lecturer for vein and cosmetic procedures, including being a Physician Instructor for Fraxel Laser Technology and Cutera Laser Technology.
Dr. Kwak also instructs physicians on the use of newer laser and ultrasound assisted body sculpting techniques both in the US and abroad and is a recommended physician educator for Sound Surgical Technologies, the makers of VASER® liposelection body contouring. Dr. Kwak has been appointed to the ThermiGen Clinical Advisory Board.
- 2002 to October 2009
- Director, Interventional Radiology Division and Director, Penn Presbyterian Vein Program
- Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- 2002 to October 2009
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Radiology
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Hospital and Administrative Appointments
- Director, LUMEN Laser Center, Bryn Mawr, PA, 2006 to present
- ThermiGen Clinical Advisory Board
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 2002 to October 2009
- Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, 2002 to October 2009
- Philadelphia Veterans’ Administration Medical Center, 2002 to October 2009
- Pennsylvania Hospital, 2002 to October 2009
Professional Membership Associations
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- American College of Radiology
- Society of Interventional Radiology
- Pennsylvania Radiology Society
- American College of Phlebology
- Asociacion Argentina de Medicina y Cirugia
The LUMEN Laser Center specializes in treating unsightly varicose veins. The center offers endovenous laser ablation far simpler minimally invasive treatment based on laser technology to eliminate veins quickly, with no pain or recovery time, in a beautiful and relaxing environment. Sclerotherapy, echosclerotherapy and transdermal laser therapy are offered. Most insurance is accepted.