Do spider veins hurt to the touch like a bruise? The answer to that question is an unequivocal yes! While most people don't experience any problems at all with spider veins other then they are annoyed by the sight of them, for some they can be painful, itchy, and cause other discomforts.
If you are experiencing problems with spider veins, if you are in pain, you should schedule an appointment with a vein specialist today. The term spider vein is derived from the look of the vein itself, in most cases it resembles a spider's web or can look like a sunburst. These veins appear close to the surface of your skin which makes them more visible.
If you aren't quite sure if you are ready for spider vein treatment, there are several non-surgical treatment options available to you to help prevent spider veins and they include:
• Elevating your legs for about 30 minutes to increase the circulation
• Exercise can improve you overall vein health by strengthening your veins and getting your blood pumping through them
• Compression hose can also assist with circulation and prevent your blood from pooling in your leg veins
• Limit your exposure to the sun, over exposure to the sun can damage the elasticity of your veins forcing them to widen and discolor
• Hot baths, saunas and Jacuzzi's are a no-no, because the heat can cause your veins to dilate and get bigger
Sclerotherapy is a popular treatment option for spider veins too. By injecting the sclerotherapy solution directly into your problem veins, the solution will force the spider veins to collapse and dissipate. While treatment is permanent, it does not stop spider veins from coming back in different areas. Gaining weight can also cause your spider veins to return.
For more information on spider veins and the treatment options that best suit you and your specific case, you should schedule an appointment with a vein specialist in your area today.
VeinDirectory.org is a leading resource for spider veins information. Search for a vein clinic near you today!
- Treatments & Info
- Find a Doctor
- Ask a Doctor
- Before & After